2014 Program errata

Apologies to anyone confused by the “Upcoming Events” showing races contrary to the latest paper version. Clearly the committee need to to improve on communication in this area, not to mention names (Sheppo). πŸ™‚

Tuesday night was the most impacted. Group C is in February not March, the Rally/Muscle car rounds are in March not February and we are racing 1/24 Scale Auto in April not GT3! Apart from that it was perfect…. :-]

Friday night was unscathed it seems, however I missed a “tag” on Mosler Race that would have seen it “disappear” if the Friday Night Shortcut was chosen by the reader.

Note there is no Racing Easter Friday or ANZAC day. This appears wrong in the printed program.

So that is Season 1. Hopefully Season 2 & 3 will be correct.


2014 Season kicks off

Racing was quite a buzz on Tuesday night with a reasonable turnout (24?) and a one or two new and returned faces!

Open wheeler is often a dramatic event, high speed, cars leaving the track and hitting the floor and so on. On the whole it went well and I believe we all enjoyed it.

Almost surprisingly, Parc Ferme went relatively smoothly. Still a few procedural kinks to iron out, but no drama or delays. Well done Bill J, Sheppo and Chris O for making it work!

We’re using the Parc Ferme dais from the 2011 Nationals. Drivers need a way to keep sticky tyres off the surface – bottle caps and tape rolls were tried!.


Tyres must have excessive tyre softening products removed before racing.


Tuesday Night Champs 2013

The results are in and the trophies awarded!

The long awaited Season 1 trophies and the Season 2 trophies where awarded on the the last Tuesday Race of the year.

Congratulations to all and better luck next time to those of us still chasing the illusive shiny plastic! πŸ™‚


Season 1 & 2 – Div1, Div2, and Clubman podium finishers, from left to right, Colin, Kevin, Gary E, Ian, Marco, Robert, Barry, Travis, Wazza, Gary J, Greg. (Massimo not present).

Committee Meeting 16/12/13

Committee Present: Chris Osborne, Garry Shepley, Bruno Giovannucci, David Robson, Chris R, Ray Sweeting, Bill J

Members Present: Colin, Travis, Marco, Kevin, Wazza, Mike, Charlie, Kevin GR, Barry Phillips, Greg&Paul

Meeting Start 7.35 PM

New Business

Treasurer’sΒ  Report:

Presented by Chris O for Cath. The club’s financial position is sound and the balance amount from members fees and events was announced to those present. This money is kept separate from the takings of Thunderbird Raceway and goes toward trophies, event setup costs (food).
Chris pointed out that there are many costs to running and maintaining the tracks, but this is kept separate to the club. The club race fees pay for the hire of the tracks. Cath is looking into the club having a separate bank account.
Members of Slotmasters that have completed “probation” receive a number of special benefits.
These benefits to members include discounts on most products but not all. Practice time is not charged, unlike other venues. Weekend track use for $8 a day.

Chris is passionate about slotcars and slotcar racing and wants to support the club as much as possible. Chris relies on the support and patronage of Slotmasters Slotcar Club members. This is also his business and livelihood.

Not all events are club run and sponsored e.g. the recent 1/24 enduro run by Shane Atkinson. Shane and his business “Jazzbell” have donated heavily to the club including benches etc, as well has funding some great events.

Class changes such as “Tuesday and Friday night cars being the same” are done to improve the racing, reduce cost and allow members to participate more easily. These decisions are made by committee for members benefit, not to make money for Thunderbird raceway.

How to best use the club funds to benefit members was discussed.
T-shirts, Club pays for setup of design. Members to purchase at cost.

Status of non members – do they continue to race?

Behavior problems? Impact on Club and Raceway.

Working bees and sub committees. Notification of working bees to give opportunity to volunteers to help.

Carry over items from last meeting

Parc Ferme’ – further discussion on the benefits and draft rules for this race procedure.

Trophies to come in a more timely manner. Chris R will be sorting the most current.

Tuesday and Friday night program discussed. Novelty events, be it 2 man or mixed classes will not be for points.

End of year Pizza fun night Santa on Friday.

Next years program and race related discussion

Novelty events – caravans, trucks, drags, show and shine etc.

Friday night Group C allowed in modern sport.

Clubman alloy rims and race guides. Is this in the spirit of clubman? By the time these things are important it’s probably time to move up.

Schedule three club enduros, one per season, same for club meetings.

Meeting closed 9:55 PM

Committee Meeting 18/11/2013

General Meeting

We haven’t had one of these for a while and a lot was discussed.

Meeting Start 7:15 18/11/2013

Present – Chris 0, Gary S, Ray, Bill J, Bruno, Chris R, Robbo

2014 Calendar discussion.

3 Seasons instead of 2? Yes Tuesday and Friday. New draft program by next week.

Too many classes? 8 classes forΒ  Friday and Tuesday. Tuesday may still run split rounds allowing one more class as per Rally/Muscle Car this season.

Club cars for rookies? Committee members to approach for volunteers to donate cars that are suitable for the class but are either superseded or “past their prime”. The idea is to keep new players interested long enough to buy their own.

PRO-AM Race? Last race Friday night is to be a DIV1 plus rookie/Div2 team race. We would like more of these events.

Committee meetings, one per season? We have been slack on meetings. Suggest one per season in 2014, scheduled in advance. There will be more opportunity for members input.

Trophies for Christmas! Trophies have been slow arriving. Chris will make good on current outstanding trophies.

Rules and class changes

Parc Ferme’ for 2014. Draft Rules to circulate. Cars will be not be worked on between heats unless damaged. More details soon.

Rally – Inline Tuesday NSR. Introducing the NSR Rally car models with inline motors as an option for rally.

Racers with physical limitations should marshal the spot they can reach. Slotcars is for everyone, but Marshals have to be positioned where they can actually do their job. This means shuffling marshal positions to suit.

Cars that fail Scrutineering will not race for points unless rectified before the first race. This is an obvious result for failing scrutineering. Model “engineers” should be mindful about being overly aggressive with minimizing ground clearance and basic things like wheel size and fit. Reading the rules might help.

Charging – reminder, courtesy. Plowing through crashed cars at high speed should always be avoided. Damage to both cars is common.

Super V8s – foam tyres allowed? Yes. Foam tyres to be introduced as another option to Super V8s on Fridays.

Meeting Ended 10:30 18/11/2013


Race Event News!

Last minute update for the current Tuesday night round. We have Rally Car next week, followed by the second round of Muscle car and the final Rally Car.

The logic being that we follow the normal rotation of tracks, Magnet, non-magnet and so on….

Hopefully the change gets out to everyone in time!

In other news, flexi-cars have been running the last two week with Colin looking like the man to beat! See the upcoming events.

Registering at Slotmaster Website

FYI, if you are interested in registering for this site (which is optional), it is expected that you are a current member, or former member still interested in Slotcars and the club.

Now that the site is starting to get noticed on the web we are getting spammers or robots (or both) trying to register. The moderators may not recognize you from your email account. If you register with your full name that helps, but Hotmail accounts look a bit suspect.

So if you are using Hotmail and you don’t get your registration approved, come and see a committee member and make yourself known and we will fix it up. Meanwhile we’ll set up a Slotmasters email address so there is and alternate contact to verify who you are. Stay tuned for details. πŸ˜‰